Live Fire Training Facility Constructed from Modified Steel Shipping Containers
When it comes to custom shipping container modifications and modular buildings, we always tell our customers that if they can dream it, we can build it. We’ve designed and constructed a lot of interesting structures from steel containers, but our most recent custom building is unlike anything we’ve ever done before.
This 4-Storey Live Fire Training Facility was a custom build for a fire department on Vancouver Island, BC, that will be used to simulate apartment fires. It was constructed from nine 40’ BigSteelBoxes, set on a concrete foundation and features interior stair wells that provide access through out the entire interior of the structure. This is a fully permitted structure, which complies with BC Building code, NFPA 1402 and 1403.
There is a long list of custom specifications that went into this unit. Here are a few:
• Exterior stair case with access to each floor and roof top
• Third floor has a pitched roof prop that has floor and roof hatches in it with access to the second floor and exterior
• Roof has steel grated decks and railings around the perimeter
• Rappelling anchors in multiple locations
• Catwalk/balcony on the third floor along back side of unit
• Steel shutters with latches on windows
• All exterior guard rails, window shutters and stair tower have a powder coated finish
• Custom exterior and interior paint job
Electrical and Ventilation:
• Exhaust system to remove heat from fire burn rooms
• Controls to monitor the rate of fire growth, extinguishment of fire, and temperature in the burn rooms
• Water base smoke generation and distribution system
• Second floor has a Denver Rescue prop that has the ability to swing away from window when not in use
• Main floor has a breechable wall prop
• Two natural gas fired burn rooms with thermal lining and steel walls: One on the main floor representing a garage with a steel car prop that can be lit on fire and the second that emulates a kitchen with steel cabinets
• Third floor has movable partition walls on a track to allow partition walls to be moved around to create different training scenarios
Residential Moving & Storage
BigSteelBox makes residential moving and storage simple.
We deliver a BigSteelBox to your home, you pack it at your own pace, then we pick it up and move it to your new home. If you need storage, keep the Box at your place or we'll store it at one of our secure locations.
Benefits of Building with Steel
For mobile structures on remote worksites, building with steel makes sense when compared to wood-frame construction.
BigSteelBoxes are built for ocean shipping and withstanding the elements, so they're much more solid, durable and stackable than trailers.